Bob's Blog

Friday, January 20, 2006

Don't ask for credit...

One of the things that would make my setup in London complete is a UK credit card, in fact it would be the one last thing to do. No, I am not a consumer materialist or in need of 'retail therapy'. I need a credit card because it would make life a lot more convenient. You see the thing is that a lot of the websites over here are quite advanced. Besides asking for your 3 digit security code for purchases you also need to put in your billing address. From train websites, to airlines to phone cards. The system cross references all this information and approves or declines your purchase.

It shouldn't be a problem because I have an Australian credit card. But the catch is that a lot of the sites force you to put in a UK billing address! It won't allow you to specify a country other than 'United Kingdom'. Hence my need of a UK credit card. And as inopportunity would have it, because of the spiralling personal credit card debt of ordinary Britons, they have changed the rules on getting a credit card so it is much more difficult. Actually, my difficulty isn't related to that as much as it relates to the fact that I have no credit history in the UK. There is no exchange of credit information between Australia and the UK, hence no one wants to give me a credit card!

I have applied to heaps of places but been declined because I have no credit history, it's ridiculous!! 18 year olds can get 10 credit cards and switch money around and get deeper and deeper into debt but I can't get a credit card! I don't have to have one, I wouldn't care to get one if I could go on websites and use my Australian credit card. And being a child of the online generation I am not going back to the phone or face to face :)

Been trying to get one and wasted so much time talking to relationship managers and premium managers with the end result of nothing! So last week I went and opened up an account with HSBC. I'm getting get a 'more powerful' keycard which will be more widely accepted on websites. It's not a credit card though. I hope to get that in due time as HSBC will give you one after you've banked with them for a while and they know your financial habits. I thought my current bank would go about it this way as well but no, so my advice to anyone is that if you have a choice of, lets call it 'Bank N' or HSBC, go with HSBC (there's no cost difference anyway).

PS. If you want to know which bank to not give your money to, email me.

Laters.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home