We Will What?
Jason, Simone and I went to see We Will Rock You! the other night.
The Ben Elton musical based on the music of Queen. £25 tickets booked a few weeks back. What we didn't realise was that the day that we were to see it was smack bang in the middle of mid-term (one week school holidays) so I reckon about 80% of the audience were teenagers! If teenagers are to see any show, I guess this is probably one of the better ones for them to see cause it's got a lot of loud rock music, dancing and lights.
It wasn't a totally unpleasant experience with them as teenagers bring a lot of energy and enthusiasm for yelling, screaming and whistling, which is quite appropriate for a rock musical, but they get bored easily and don't observe theatre decorum. For example, making sheep noises when they're bored. Again, more amusing than annoying as some parts of the show were slow and even I was getting bored. However, a few of the older patrons were getting irritated by their younger connoisseurs of theatre. It was a very large venue, much bigger than Les Miz or Phantom and of course, a very different show to those two. It had some good bits and I knew most of the songs and song references in the first half but was at a loss for the second half songs except for "Bohemian Rhapsody", "We Are The Champions" and "We Will Rock You". I don't think many of the teenagers would know the puns and references to songs in the script. They'd know some but maybe it's something that people who grew up around the time of Queen's music would appreciate more.
Oh, I also got a laptop that day! Yeah, been without one since I left PwC and had to give that one back. It's not impossible to be without one but it is handy to have. At first I was going to buy quite an expensive new "desktop replacement" laptop but then figured that I don't play games or use graphics or video editing packages so I don't really need all that power. I just use Word, Excel, Internet browser and watch DVD's on it! So I settled to look at what was going secondhand on gumtree.com.
Found this one that I went for:
ASUS A6VC Laptop. The specs are as follows:
Intel Pentium-M Centrino 740 Processor Technology 1.73GHz
1024 MB(1GB) DDRII SDRAM
60GB Hard Drive
DVD 8 X Speed Dual Layer Drive - To read DVDs and CDs and write CDs,DVD+, DVD- and large Dual Layer DVD
15.4" XGA Widescreen TFT Screen
NVIDIA GeForce Go 6200 256MB dedicated graphics
Built in video camera and microphone. (Perfect for SKYPE or other videochat with friends back home.)
Integrated gigabit LAN and 56k v.90 data fax modem
Integrated wireless 802.11b/g
Integrated 4-in-1 card reader
4 USB 2.0 Sockets
4-pin Firewire (IEEE 1394) Port
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Pre Loaded
3 hour Battery Life
Weight 2.85kg
18 Month International Warranty
Brand New never used Carry case
USB Optical Mouse
I actually haven't had that much time to test everything out since I bought it! But it seems fine so far and it still has 18 months left on the warranty as a backup. The guy I bought it off was an Aussie going the long way home via Eastern Europe and China. We met in the pub to the do the exchange before I went to the show. So I had to carry the laptop and a box of stuff with me that night. The guy had thrown in some blank CDs and DVDs as well as a SCART cable due to my bargaining prowess!
Take care.
The Ben Elton musical based on the music of Queen. £25 tickets booked a few weeks back. What we didn't realise was that the day that we were to see it was smack bang in the middle of mid-term (one week school holidays) so I reckon about 80% of the audience were teenagers! If teenagers are to see any show, I guess this is probably one of the better ones for them to see cause it's got a lot of loud rock music, dancing and lights.
It wasn't a totally unpleasant experience with them as teenagers bring a lot of energy and enthusiasm for yelling, screaming and whistling, which is quite appropriate for a rock musical, but they get bored easily and don't observe theatre decorum. For example, making sheep noises when they're bored. Again, more amusing than annoying as some parts of the show were slow and even I was getting bored. However, a few of the older patrons were getting irritated by their younger connoisseurs of theatre. It was a very large venue, much bigger than Les Miz or Phantom and of course, a very different show to those two. It had some good bits and I knew most of the songs and song references in the first half but was at a loss for the second half songs except for "Bohemian Rhapsody", "We Are The Champions" and "We Will Rock You". I don't think many of the teenagers would know the puns and references to songs in the script. They'd know some but maybe it's something that people who grew up around the time of Queen's music would appreciate more.
Oh, I also got a laptop that day! Yeah, been without one since I left PwC and had to give that one back. It's not impossible to be without one but it is handy to have. At first I was going to buy quite an expensive new "desktop replacement" laptop but then figured that I don't play games or use graphics or video editing packages so I don't really need all that power. I just use Word, Excel, Internet browser and watch DVD's on it! So I settled to look at what was going secondhand on gumtree.com.
Found this one that I went for:
ASUS A6VC Laptop. The specs are as follows:
Intel Pentium-M Centrino 740 Processor Technology 1.73GHz
1024 MB(1GB) DDRII SDRAM
60GB Hard Drive
DVD 8 X Speed Dual Layer Drive - To read DVDs and CDs and write CDs,DVD+, DVD- and large Dual Layer DVD
15.4" XGA Widescreen TFT Screen
NVIDIA GeForce Go 6200 256MB dedicated graphics
Built in video camera and microphone. (Perfect for SKYPE or other videochat with friends back home.)
Integrated gigabit LAN and 56k v.90 data fax modem
Integrated wireless 802.11b/g
Integrated 4-in-1 card reader
4 USB 2.0 Sockets
4-pin Firewire (IEEE 1394) Port
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Pre Loaded
3 hour Battery Life
Weight 2.85kg
18 Month International Warranty
Brand New never used Carry case
USB Optical Mouse
I actually haven't had that much time to test everything out since I bought it! But it seems fine so far and it still has 18 months left on the warranty as a backup. The guy I bought it off was an Aussie going the long way home via Eastern Europe and China. We met in the pub to the do the exchange before I went to the show. So I had to carry the laptop and a box of stuff with me that night. The guy had thrown in some blank CDs and DVDs as well as a SCART cable due to my bargaining prowess!
Take care.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home